Thursday 2 November 2017

A diagnosis of Asperger's. Part Six

On Wednesday morning I went to Devizes for my third and final assessment appointment, four weeks after I had started.  These assessment sessions were about two hours long each, with the psychiatrist working her way through an enormous questionnaire that seemed determined to access every last neuron of my memory and experience, split into several clear sections.  In the first appointment we had covered social communication; in the second, social imagination, friendships and work; in this one we had something of a light relief period, as it focused on things such a motor capabilities and sensory quirks.  Needless to say, these appointments left me feeling extremely drained and worse, in Devizes.

By the end of the session, after I had discussed how I can't help but read and decode every single car numberplate I see (it's true, and pointless, and tiring), and how I am hugely over-sensitive to repetitive sounds, the psychiatrist looked at me and informed me that there was little doubt at all that I was on the autistic spectrum, and that specifically I had Asperger's.  I had it in spades, in fact,  The feeling of relief was powerful, as I had invested a lot of time and energy into the process, and had begun the long and arduous task of re-evaluating my life with this potential diagnosis in hand.  Discovering that there was no further doubt, and that I'd be getting my report through the post in a week or so, was hugely comforting and still is, a day and a half later.  We spoke for a while about my most immediate concerns (I made the most of being assessed by an actual psychiatrist - apparently this is quite unusual) and then we parted company.  I have spent the last 36 hours since thinking about what the diagnosis means.

Ultimately it means a lot.  I don't think it will change who I am (though I fear I may 'relax' into it a little), as I have always had Asperger's, so there is no reason for change.  But it will (and to a point already has) change how I view myself and my interactions with the world.  How this pans out will be interesting to see, but I am determined to see things with a new optimism as I realise how far I have come with a brain that is not neuro-typical, and therefore how much further I could go.  I am hopeful that this diagnosis will bring peace of mind and comfort when I'm feeling low, and I am thankful for the opportunities and strengths it has brought me.

Where do I go from here?  That is the question, and I think I will continue to blog, as I'd like to go into more detail about living with Asperger's, in the hope it helps folk like me in future.  I am also going to immerse myself in the Aspie community and see what that brings.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, have found this series (so far?) interesting and I hope it helps you and others.

    I'm curious about your opinions re: Asperger's/autism/ASD terminology. Do you have any particular preferences, reasons for referring to yourself in one way rather than another, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very new to it all really. I am beginning to prefer 'autistic person' over 'person with autism' as I think its an integral part of one's personality, but it's trickier with AS because 'asperger's person' sounds ridiculous. I suppose this is why 'Aspie' has caught on but I'm still not totally sold on that yet, though not certain why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, though to be honest I find the autism/asperger's dichotomy a little hard to get my head around in general!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this blog series at the time, and for some reason ended up re-reading them today! I don't know if this is something you've considered or revisited on twitter but I think it would be interesting to see your current reflections on these posts, which were I suppose relatively early on in your (public) engagement with autism concepts and community. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete